
Hello All
Unfortunately I haven't been feeling very inspired to type lately and things have also been really busy. Thus what I'm gonna do is make a list of the topics I want to write about, and I will fill them in when I get a chance. At least people will know I haven't been doing absolutely nothing with my time!
Manguzi
A few weeks ago I had a really interesting drive up through KZN to a meeting held at Manguzi. When I heard where the meeting was the only thing I knew about Manguzi, was that my dad was stationed there while he was doing Mozambique border patrols while in the army. To see how long it would take to drive there, I looked at the large provincial map which covers the wall next to the photocopy machine at work. Manguzi is so far north, that, being short as I am, I almost had to climb on a table to find it on the map!! It's virtually on the Mozambiquan border, just before Kosi Bay.
The drive took 4.5 hours, and it was a sweltering hot day!! In some places the road was full of flying bugs, which splattered all over the windscreen of the bakkie. By the time we reached the meeting the windscreen was virtually painted white! The petrol attendant who cleaned it definitely earned his tip!!
The scenery on the drive up was really interesting - The land is very flat up north, and the soil is white sand. Although it's pretty from a tourist's perspective, it's easy to see why the area is poverty stricken, as there is little sign of agricultural or commercial development.
Telling the bosses about Peterborough
One of the scariest things I've had to do in the past few months, was speak to my boss and supervisor about the position I have been offered at Atkins. I took several days getting up the courage and waiting until the boss seemed like he was in a good mood. Why did I bother? When I eventually spoke to him, he was really supportive and encouraging about me taking the opporrtunity to get experience. I was actually a little sad, that neither my boss or supervisor broke down in tears at the thought of losing me, but I guess they are just good at hiding their emotions!
I am feeling realy bad about leaving, as the department I work in now have very few staff, and another of my friends has also recently announced that he is leaving.
DWAF Sports Day and Choir
As an end of year function, DWAF annually organised a Social Day for all the officials in the Region. This year, the Sports Day was held at Midmar Dam, and entailed inter-office sports events, followed by a braai and prize-giving.
An email went around asking everyone to suggest sports events, and I suggested a singing competition. Little did I know, that this suggestion was taken as my volunteering to organise the competition. Although I wasn't very keen at first, I ended up having a lot of fun, and making new friends within the Department. I advertised a competition where groups had to sing 3 songs (one in English, one in Afrikaans, and one in Zulu). A group of about 20 of us got together to form the Durban team and practiced a few songs. It was a bit of a last minute effort, and there was a bit of disagreement among the group member, but eventually we ended up rehearsing "Early One Morning", "Sarie Marais" and "Asikwazi Ukuhamba".
On the day, it turned out that none of the other offices had organised teams, so our choir simply sang at the Prize-Giving. Our efforts were very well received and we had a great time (although a lot of us were shy to stand up at first!)
Mrs Harrison
On hearing that on of my teachers from school was really ill, I attempted to contact old classmates to organise a well wishing card. Finding out what everybody was up to was a really interesting exercise. (see newer post for more details)
Dave's family Christmas Party
Dave visited Durban for a week in December. It was great to see him, and his family organised a special early Christmas meal, so that he would get the chance to share it with everybody. I cracked an invite, and it was nice to see his whole family together once again. Even his cousin who had been serving in Iraq was back for a holiday!
DWAF Tour
After quite a few requests, my boss finally decided to organise a Team Building trip for our section (10th floor Water Resources). Instead of the usual bonding while playing charades, solving puzzles or competing in an obstacle course - it was decided that we would go on a Training Tour, where we would travel around the province, visiting different sights which were applicable to the work we do. The intention was to give those people who don't often get out in the field (or who are usually confined to a particular area of expertise) to get a taste of what our sections work is really about. We were away for 3 days and 2 nights, staying over at Drakensville and Natal Spa.
We visited Wagendrift Dam, the Tugela-Vaal Scheme (including Driel Barrage, Woodstock Dam, the Eskom Drakensberg Pumped-Storage Scheme, and the Sterkfontein Dam), mine dump rehabilitation sites, a foretry plantation, Klipfontein Dam and Goetrow Dam. In between sites, and in the evenings, we got a chance to socialise and build friendships with our co-workers. This was great fun!! See pictures in new post.
Mbona
Our family visited our cottage in the Midlands for a weekend just before Christmas. The weather was awful, and it rained vistually solidly while we were there. Of course this gave a little time for fmaily bonding, and I managed to read a book, which I don't often get the chance to do. On the Sunday, we went out for lunch at Fern Hill Hotel, where we had a delicious buffet meal. Then my sister and I drove home while my parents and gran staye don for the rest of the week. The weather on the road back was scary. The rain was heavy and at times it was very difficult to focus on the cars in front because the spray was hiding them, making them look a bit ghostly (half cars drfiting (or in many cases speeding) along above the road surface! Thankfully we made it home safely!
Christmas in Durban
The lights and Christmas trees are out all over town. The shops are insanely busy, and everyone seems to be in a holiday mood. Going to work was really nice the past few weeks, as the bus was fairly empty, and everybody was thinking about year-end parties, Christmas shopping, and what to do with their leave. I took a few days off to shop - not a pleasant experience (shops are packed, and I wandered around for hours without finding the presents I was looking for), but came back specially for the half day before Christmas. I really enjoyed the friendsly atmosphere at work, with everybody wishing everybody else a Good Holiday!
The Maxillo-Facial Surgeon
Ahhhhh! My dentist has recommended that I get 3 wisdom teeth removed!! I visited the Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgeon for a second opinion, and after a panoramic x-ray, he informed me that my top 2 wisdoms were pushing my other teeth screw, and that my bottom tooth (seems I only have one) was preparing to grow into a nerve! Help! I'm booked into hospital in Janury.... Will tell you then about my pain and suffering...
Contact with Peterborough people
In preparation for the move overseas, I have been checking out the flatshares available, and corresponding with a few people in Peterborough. I have now made friends with two other young engineers who work at Atkins, and I'm starting to have a really positive feel about the place where I will be working. The people seem very friendly and from the sounds of things, the office makes an effort to organise regular social functions. Yay!! Now all I hae to worry about is the complexity of the work i'll be doing. I get the feeling I'm about to be dumped in the deep end!!
A few weeks ago I had a really interesting drive up through KZN to a meeting held at Manguzi. When I heard where the meeting was the only thing I knew about Manguzi, was that my dad was stationed there while he was doing Mozambique border patrols while in the army. To see how long it would take to drive there, I looked at the large provincial map which covers the wall next to the photocopy machine at work. Manguzi is so far north, that, being short as I am, I almost had to climb on a table to find it on the map!! It's virtually on the Mozambiquan border, just before Kosi Bay.
The drive took 4.5 hours, and it was a sweltering hot day!! In some places the road was full of flying bugs, which splattered all over the windscreen of the bakkie. By the time we reached the meeting the windscreen was virtually painted white! The petrol attendant who cleaned it definitely earned his tip!!
The scenery on the drive up was really interesting - The land is very flat up north, and the soil is white sand. Although it's pretty from a tourist's perspective, it's easy to see why the area is poverty stricken, as there is little sign of agricultural or commercial development.
Telling the bosses about Peterborough
One of the scariest things I've had to do in the past few months, was speak to my boss and supervisor about the position I have been offered at Atkins. I took several days getting up the courage and waiting until the boss seemed like he was in a good mood. Why did I bother? When I eventually spoke to him, he was really supportive and encouraging about me taking the opporrtunity to get experience. I was actually a little sad, that neither my boss or supervisor broke down in tears at the thought of losing me, but I guess they are just good at hiding their emotions!
I am feeling realy bad about leaving, as the department I work in now have very few staff, and another of my friends has also recently announced that he is leaving.
DWAF Sports Day and Choir
As an end of year function, DWAF annually organised a Social Day for all the officials in the Region. This year, the Sports Day was held at Midmar Dam, and entailed inter-office sports events, followed by a braai and prize-giving.
An email went around asking everyone to suggest sports events, and I suggested a singing competition. Little did I know, that this suggestion was taken as my volunteering to organise the competition. Although I wasn't very keen at first, I ended up having a lot of fun, and making new friends within the Department. I advertised a competition where groups had to sing 3 songs (one in English, one in Afrikaans, and one in Zulu). A group of about 20 of us got together to form the Durban team and practiced a few songs. It was a bit of a last minute effort, and there was a bit of disagreement among the group member, but eventually we ended up rehearsing "Early One Morning", "Sarie Marais" and "Asikwazi Ukuhamba".
On the day, it turned out that none of the other offices had organised teams, so our choir simply sang at the Prize-Giving. Our efforts were very well received and we had a great time (although a lot of us were shy to stand up at first!)
Mrs Harrison
On hearing that on of my teachers from school was really ill, I attempted to contact old classmates to organise a well wishing card. Finding out what everybody was up to was a really interesting exercise. (see newer post for more details)
Dave's family Christmas Party
Dave visited Durban for a week in December. It was great to see him, and his family organised a special early Christmas meal, so that he would get the chance to share it with everybody. I cracked an invite, and it was nice to see his whole family together once again. Even his cousin who had been serving in Iraq was back for a holiday!
DWAF Tour
After quite a few requests, my boss finally decided to organise a Team Building trip for our section (10th floor Water Resources). Instead of the usual bonding while playing charades, solving puzzles or competing in an obstacle course - it was decided that we would go on a Training Tour, where we would travel around the province, visiting different sights which were applicable to the work we do. The intention was to give those people who don't often get out in the field (or who are usually confined to a particular area of expertise) to get a taste of what our sections work is really about. We were away for 3 days and 2 nights, staying over at Drakensville and Natal Spa.
We visited Wagendrift Dam, the Tugela-Vaal Scheme (including Driel Barrage, Woodstock Dam, the Eskom Drakensberg Pumped-Storage Scheme, and the Sterkfontein Dam), mine dump rehabilitation sites, a foretry plantation, Klipfontein Dam and Goetrow Dam. In between sites, and in the evenings, we got a chance to socialise and build friendships with our co-workers. This was great fun!! See pictures in new post.
Mbona
Our family visited our cottage in the Midlands for a weekend just before Christmas. The weather was awful, and it rained vistually solidly while we were there. Of course this gave a little time for fmaily bonding, and I managed to read a book, which I don't often get the chance to do. On the Sunday, we went out for lunch at Fern Hill Hotel, where we had a delicious buffet meal. Then my sister and I drove home while my parents and gran staye don for the rest of the week. The weather on the road back was scary. The rain was heavy and at times it was very difficult to focus on the cars in front because the spray was hiding them, making them look a bit ghostly (half cars drfiting (or in many cases speeding) along above the road surface! Thankfully we made it home safely!
Christmas in Durban
The lights and Christmas trees are out all over town. The shops are insanely busy, and everyone seems to be in a holiday mood. Going to work was really nice the past few weeks, as the bus was fairly empty, and everybody was thinking about year-end parties, Christmas shopping, and what to do with their leave. I took a few days off to shop - not a pleasant experience (shops are packed, and I wandered around for hours without finding the presents I was looking for), but came back specially for the half day before Christmas. I really enjoyed the friendsly atmosphere at work, with everybody wishing everybody else a Good Holiday!
The Maxillo-Facial Surgeon
Ahhhhh! My dentist has recommended that I get 3 wisdom teeth removed!! I visited the Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgeon for a second opinion, and after a panoramic x-ray, he informed me that my top 2 wisdoms were pushing my other teeth screw, and that my bottom tooth (seems I only have one) was preparing to grow into a nerve! Help! I'm booked into hospital in Janury.... Will tell you then about my pain and suffering...
Contact with Peterborough people
In preparation for the move overseas, I have been checking out the flatshares available, and corresponding with a few people in Peterborough. I have now made friends with two other young engineers who work at Atkins, and I'm starting to have a really positive feel about the place where I will be working. The people seem very friendly and from the sounds of things, the office makes an effort to organise regular social functions. Yay!! Now all I hae to worry about is the complexity of the work i'll be doing. I get the feeling I'm about to be dumped in the deep end!!

No comments:
Post a Comment