Saturday (post Windsor):
After visiting Windsor on Saturday, Dave and I returned to meet up with Neil and Tamren who had been up to Milton Keynes for the day to find a place for Neil to stay (he's also starting a new job - with Midlands Racing - ex-Jordan F1 team!!.... Very nice ££!!). Despite the fact that Dave and I had just had a big pub lunch, the other two convinced us to splash out and order Chinese… Very yummy!! This late meal however, meant that I didn't have time to update the blog before leaving for "The North" in the morning.
span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:85%;">Sunday (Cambridge):
We decided not to rush the day, so had a slow start on Sunday, and a rather slow drive through the London traffic, out to the M25 via Cobham (so I could see where Dave works) and then round to the A1(M). We were due to meet Rosie in Peterborough at 6:30, so we decided to pay a quick visit to Cambridge (and Edmund) on the way up!
It turned out that F3 racing driver champion Chris Murgado (sorry if the spelling is wrong) was also visiting, so we had a nice party hanging out with Jack's (aka Edmund's) friends. Unfortunatley I have still yet to meet the elusive Lauren (Jack's gf) who was working in the lab at the time.
Cambridge was crazy!!! All the old buildings and streets were beautiful, and it seems that the whole place is obsessed with rank and academic hierarchy. Rules, rules and more rules!!!
After meeting near, and quickly going to check out Jack's digs (very nice btw) in Portugal Place, we hurried out and were illegally snuck into a meeting of the Trinity Coffee Club (held in the entertainment section of the Master's quarters). All the while Jack played a brilliant tour guide stopping to give us loads of information about the history, legend and anecdotes concerning the various buildings, people and places we visited. Post-Coffee, we went to Evensong at Kings College Chapel…. I hope I have all these details correct (send corrections Jack). It was really cool to see the amazing chapel, and to listen to the choristers. A right proper Cambridge experience!!! Awesome!!
Then it was off to tea in the room of a very high order Cambridge PhD student, and then a hasty drive up to Peterborough to meet Rosie. We got a little lost but found her in the end. Rosie - Super friendly is about all I can say!!
Monday (Peterborough):
While poor Rosie went off to work on Monday, I headed out (a wee while later…. Cos I'm a lazy thing that sleeps too much) to explore the town.
From Rosie's the centre of town is walk along the river (on the cycle path), past Railway World and across the bridge overlooking loads of hungry ducks, swans and geese (pics to follow). In town I walked around the paved pedestrian roads, the shopping centre and the Cathedral. Not much to say but it's all pretty, quiet and a lot more spacious than London. The Cathedral is beautiful (or looks like it from the outside)!!
Wednesday (Peterborough):
First day of work…. Scary…. But everybody is super friendly!!..... Thanks everybody!
For those who noticed the missing day.... I spent it at home at Rosie's place reading (bought a couple of books - Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George and Labyrinth)

No comments:
Post a Comment