Friday, August 12, 2005

What I do....


I am a civil engineer. I qualified with my BScEng at the end of 2001, and completed my MScEng in 2004. Now I am working for the South African Department of Water Affairs and Forestry.

I work in the Durban Regional Office and am in the Water Resource Management Section. It's a really interesting job, especially seeing as South Africa has a lot of new water related legislation and also because water is scare in many regions. Here in KwaZulu-Natal we have a lot of rain, but there are still difficulties with fair allocation.

The picture is Hazelmere dam. One of the most interesting tasks I've been given, in my years work here at the Dept, is the review of the Operations and Maintenance manuals for several dams. This involved visiting the dams and seeing all the inner workings. It was strenous for us unfit girls climbing up and down the dam walls!!

No comments: