Friday, August 12, 2005

Potter-holic


Don't get me wrong - I am definitely not a pot smoker! However, my own addiction might be just as bad in some people's eyes - Harry Potter!!!

My dad thinks I'm crazy obsessing over what he considers to be "children's literature", but I have to say "I don't care!" I was super excited when my copy of Book 6 arrived, and I had to carefully pace my reading so that it wasn't all over to quickly. Now I am left hanging for a few years with only fan websites and rereads as fixes for my habit. I'm not a crazy shipper, but I really love reading all the editorials on

http://www.mugglenet.com

The critical analysis of the characters, and people's crazy (and some reasonable) speculations about potential plot developments are so interesting. I can surf the site for hours.

As for the books themselves - I've read them all a few times. I really like JK Rowling's writing style, her attention to detail and the complicated plot. I'm always a sucker for mystery/crime novels and the fantasy setting just makes it more interesting.

Although I love LOTR and I've read those books several times also, I think what I really appreciate about Harry Potter is the character development and resultant emotional envolvement. Rowling's characters are not legendary, they are realistic (albeit in a fantastical setting) and easier to identify with. I don't think many people cried when Gandalf "died", but the passing of Dumbeldore was quite upsetting.

Wouldn't be wonderful to become a successful writer with a head full of ideas like Rowling's? Although I must admit her mind contains some dark and disturbing images!

No comments: