Sunday, February 12, 2006

I'm Finally Here

Well, I made it safely to the UK, and it seems that I have brought with me some rainy weather. So far the cold is survivable, but we didn't manage to do much siteseeing yet because the rain was too miserable... Read further to get the details thus far...

Leaving Durban was tough, as I was very stressed out, hot, bothered and desperately sad to leave my family... Mark and Bertrand foned me at the airport which was really cool (Thanks guys!) and then Betrand met me at Jo'burg International. This was really great as my flight was delayed, so we got to have supper together and a nice long chat. Talking on the cell phone is always difficult so it was cool to be able to converse face to face. Plus as a seasoned traveller Bertrand was an excellent guide around the airport.

My flight was fairly comfortable and uneventful... Food was decent, but I was quite full so didn't eat much... The inflight movies were good (Walk the Line and Wedding Crashers) and the seat headrests were perfect for a late nite snooze!! Getting through customs at Heathrow was a breeze and Dave picked me up by car. Then we went straight back to his place (originally the plan was to drive through the City Centre, but the heavy rain made the view limited). The drive through the London residential streets with rows of brick houses was like being in a picture typical UK.

On arrival at 179A Tranmere Road, I had a well needed shower and chatted a little with Neil and Tamren, before a snooze and then lunch. In the afternoon we went to Wimbledon to see.... 'The shops'... Looking at all the old buildings and the different brand names and food on offer was really interesting. So far everything looks like it does in the movies. It is weird not to be able to greet people in Afrikaans or Zulu, but it's cool to hear the English accents as well as lots of other languages!!!

Right now, I am eating pizza for dinner (cooked to perfection by Dave) and contemplating plans for tomorrow.

No comments: