Monday, April 24, 2006

Quiet weekend

Brilliant weekend... Read all about it in the full post!...

I had a fairly good weekend. On Friday night Rosie and I went on an adventure to the laundromat to get our clothes washed (after the washing machine gave up the ghost last week). The laundromat was in a dodgy little building and the room was filled with huge shiny machines and a rather unpleasant smell (that we chose not to enquire about), but after an hour or so we had a bootful of clean washing, semi-dry from the gigantic tumble dryer! The dryer made all the windows in the shop steam up!! It was definitely an experience!!
In the evening we rented a movie (In Her Shoes), bought some drinks from the local store and had a fairly quiet night. Don't worry I only had one Smirnoff Ice! The movie was quite good, and although my sister thankfully does not behave like Cameron Diaz, the sisterly banter made me quite homesick!

On Saturday we went to Milton Keynes (about 45min SW of Peterborough) to a big wholesale shop called IKEA. They sell furniture and home goods, so we went to get some stuff for the new house. It was a lovely spring day (quite hot actually) and the drive was lovely through a few villages and lots of fields filled with pretty flowers. I wish my mom and gran could have seen them!! IKEA was crazy with loads and loads of stuff to look at. It is set up so that you have to walk through virtually the whole store before you can leave, and there were lots of candles, lights, frames and pretty things to catch Rosie's eye and con us into spending too much money. I of course am boring and un-girly so I didn't get swayed too much!! We did come back with the really really full car though. I got a wardrobe, and we shared the price of a table and four chairs. The biggest challenge was getting all the stuff from the car to the flat. It's all packed flat and you have to make up the furniture yourself... So we had to lug some really heavy boxes!! I was soooo embarrassed at being so weak. I had to keep stopping on the stairs, and afterwards I collapsed with my heart pounding and my hands shook for about an hour after!!!

Following the strenuous exercise, we collapsed in front of the TV and watched another DVD (Must Love Dogs). We are setting a pattern of chick flicks about no-longer-so-young women who seem doomed in love!!! To cheer things up, we then watched a Coronation St (UK soap) special (I'm starting to learn who the characters are, but the story has been going since black and white tv, so I'm never going to have the full picture!!) and I fell asleep on the couch during the movie that followed.

On Sunday it was grey and drizzling, but I walked into town to do some shopping. It was apparently St George's Day, and so the cathedral had all the bells tolling for about an hour, and there were pipers playing outside after the bells. I was curious to stick around and listen, but the gathering rain clouds and growing drizzle discouraged me as I still had to finish my shopping and walk home along the river! It was also the day after the queen's brithday, so I suppose they were celebrating that too. Rosie went to Mass in the evening and was horrified that the Catholic Church prayed for the queen!!! Hehehe!

Rosie made supper last nite (very yummy - spring rolls, followed by sweet 'n sour chicken and rice, and choc eclairs for dessert!), and afterwards we made up our dining room chairs. It was quite a mission and we had to make 2 of them twice because we managed to fit the wrong pieces together, but they look very good now!!!

Not much other news, except that I am probably going on a trip to Cornwall on the long weekend at the end of May. A group of people from work are organising a surfing, camping trip. It should be a nice social weekend, so I've signed Dave and I up. He can surf and I will check out the countryside!

No comments: